Current COVID-19 Situation in Ross River
All community members are advised that as of June 14, 2021 there are no confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Ross River, however the following measures have been taken out of an abundance of precaution:
- All Ross River Dena Council facilities will be closed on a temporary basis; and
- Council has directed all staff to work from home on a temporary basis, effective Monday, June 14, until further notice.
These actions have been taken in response to the growing outbreak in Whitehorse and news of possible exposure notices in multiple rural communities. Council is waiting for more information from territorial health authorities regarding the current situation and takes this matter very seriously.
Please watch for more updates on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday by visiting the Announcements section of our website, found here.
Need To Reach RRDC Staff?
If you need to reach a member of our team immediately, please call our main switchboard at (867) 969-2277 ext. 200 and leave a message. A representative of RRDC will return your call as soon as possible. You can also try sending an email. A staff directory can be found here.
For Those Who Visited Whitehorse and/or Other Communities Over the Past Week
Community members who visited Whitehorse and/or other communities over the past week are encouraged to take the following steps this week:
- If you are not feeling well, self-isolate immediately and contact the Ross River Health Centre at 969-4444 to arrange for a COVID test;
- Avoid gatherings, crowds, visiting with others, etc;
- Avoid travelling to other communities until the current COVID-19 situation has improved – Council recommends that you only travel for essential reasons;
- Be mindful that COVID-19 can be passed from person to person via coughing, sneezing and other ways, which means it is extremely important to wear a mask that covers both your mouth and nose at all times;
- If you need to purchase groceries, but are concerned about the recent COVID-19 exposure notices, you can call the Ross River COVID-19 Support Line at (867) 747-0099 and we can arrange for groceries to be delivered;
- Stay informed of current COVID-19 exposure notices by visiting www.yukon.ca;
- Contact the RRDC COVID-19 Support Line at (867) 747-0099 if you have any COVID-19 questions, need assistance or would like more information about the current situation in Ross River.
Other COVID-19 Considerations
Ross River Dena Council expects that outbreaks may occur in Whitehorse and rural communities in the weeks and months ahead. When an outbreak occurs, Council asks that everyone remain calm, continue to follow the Safe 6 +1 and, where possible, work together to help protect vulnerable community members.
Some additional items to consider in situations of this nature:
- Shoppers may be required to wait outside of the General Store when there is an elevated level of risk associated with COVID-19;
- Anyone who has been in close proximity to an individual who has tested positive for COVID-19 should call the Health Centre at 969-4444 and make plans to self-isolate for 14 days;
- If you live with others and are not able to self-isolate, please inform the Health Centre or Ross River Dena Council and efforts will be made to arrange for temporary self-isolation options;
- For the latest COVID-19 Self-Isolation Guidelines: https://yukon.ca/en/self-isolation-covid-19
Ross River Dena Council has established the RRDC COVID-19 Action Plan Working Group to advise Council and help develop and implement COVID-19 related community outreach and support activities.
If you would like more information about this Working Group or would be interested in volunteering at the community level, please send an email to the Working Group Co-Chairs Verna Nukon at firstname.lastname@example.org and/or Dylan Loblaw at email@example.com. You can also reach us by calling the Ross River COVID-19 Support Line at 747-0099 at any time.
Ross River Dena Council